Wolverhampton Low level Station
The Low Level station was opened in 1854 as the Northern terminus of the Great Western Railway’s Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton line with the Birmingham, Wolverhampton & Dudley line.
In the 1960’s a decision was made to electrify the West Coast Mainline, which used Wolverhampton High Level station. With the shift in passenger services from the Low Level to the High Level station the final passenger service ran in 1972. In anticipation of the ceasing of passenger services, the station was converted to handle parcels. The parcel service began in 1970, but with a change in British Rail policy it ceased in 1981. Since a short lived time as British Rail offices the station has been abandoned ever since.
The old station is currently undergoing a £30 million mixed use scheme with the restoration of the 19th Century Low Level station as the centre piece of the development, using the platforms as patio areas for a range of restaurants and cafes.
Aerial Photo Before Development Commenced
Development Progress On 26 Nov 06