Jersey was defended from this spacious fortress built on an islet in St Aubin’s Bay for 300 years from the Civil War to the German Occupation.
Built as an artillery fortress, the numbers of cannon sited here varied. During the siege of 1651 there was a report of over fifteen cannon in the castle; a report in 1783 gives the number as 84, the largest being 24 pounders, While in 1804 there was a reported 62 guns which included five 68 pounders.
Elizabeth Castle carried on as an army garrison until 1923 when it was sold to the States of Jersey for use as an historic monument. It resumed its former role briefly during the Occupation when the Germans refortified the castle.