Gorton Monastery, is a 19th century former Franciscan Friary in Gorton, in east Manchester, England. The Franciscans arrived in Gorton in December 1861 and built their Friary between 1863 and 1867. The foundation stone for the Church was laid in 1866 and completed in 1872; it closed for worship in 1989. It is believed to be one of the finest examples of High Victorian Gothic architecture in the world.
It was designed by Edward Welby Pugin (1834-1875).
In 1997, Gorton Monastery was placed on the World Monuments Fund Watch List of 100 Most Endangered Sites in the World alongside Pompeii, Taj Mahal and the Valley of the Kings.
The Church and associated Friary buildings are currently undergoing a £6 million restoration programme supported by funds from the Heritage Lottery Fund, English Heritage and European Regional Development Fund and will re-open in spring 2007 as a multi-functional venue for conferences, events, concerts weddings etc.