Birmingham New Street Re-development 1965
The station was constructed by Messrs. Fox, Henderson & Co.. When completed in 1854 it had the largest iron and glass roof in the world, spanning a length of 212 feet. By the end of 19th century, it had become one of the busiest railway stations in the country.
Because it was constructed by two companies, the original New Street Station was effectively two stations built side-by-side. Each company had one half, with a road, Queen’s Drive, between them. This led to an inconvenient track layout which restricted capacity.
The station was completely re-built by the nationalised British Railways in the mid 1960s, when the West Coast Main Line was modernised and electrified. Queen’s Drive was lost in the rebuilding, but the name is now carried by a new driveway which serves the car park and a tower block, and is the access route for the station’s taxis.
The photographs on this page were taken in 1965 by a photographer who had a keen interest in railways and railway infrastructure. They have been reproduced on this website with his kind permission.
How The Station Originally Looked
Photos Taken in 1965 During the Re-Development