Hohlgangsanlage 5 Fuel Storage Tunnel
This tunnel started life as a railway tunnel which was dug by Jersey Railways and Tramways Ltd. The company went bankrupt in 1936 due to a fire which destroyed most of the rolling stock. The tracks were lifted and the tunnel abandoned.
In 1941 the occupying German fortress engineers constructed the side tunnels and side galleries. At its conception it was intended to be a fuel storage tunnel. However large quantities of fuel wasn’t accumulated on the island, so its use was converted to store munitions.
This tunnel complex was the only one to be totally completed by the German engineers.
POW Interrogation Reports
The report extracts below are from the National Archives and as such are Crown Copyright. They highlight the intelligence gathering which was done by British Forces and documents Ho.5
Tunnel complex in modern times
Inside the tunnel